Jan 30, 2015 at 01:56 PM
Ringed by a moat which is 52 metres wide and situated at the heart of Peking (or the Beijing city) the Forbidden city-palace museum is the largest and best preserved collection of ancient buildings in Republic of China. It served as the home of emperors and their households as well as the ceremonial and political center of Chinese government for almost 500 years. The Forbidden city got its name because it was off limits for close to 500 years and the price for uninvited admission was instant execution. Built on the orders of noble emperor Yongle the palace was steeped in stultifying ritual and Byzantine regal protocol, the otherworldly palace was the reclusive home to two dynasties, Ming and Qing, of imperial rule until the Republic overthrew the last Qing emperor. Currently the Forbidden city is also called the Palace museum. Although most Chinese people call the palace ‘Gugong’ or the old palace. The museum houses the ancient artworks from the Ming dynasty. Forbidden city-The Palace Museum has more than 1.5 million artifacts from the city, including many which have yet to be published. It took fourteen years to build the palace (1406-1420). Forbidden city is huge occupying close to 178 acres of land containing approximately eight thousand rooms. The entire complex consists of abut 980 buildings mostly red and yellow in color surrounded by a 32 feet (10 metres) high wall and a moat of 171 feet wide. There are gates on each sides of the rectangular Palace. It is believed that the military used the west gate and civilians could enter through east gate. Tourists can only enter through the Meridian gate on the south which is as high as 125 feet (38 meters). It is a massive U-shaped portal and was exclusive for the emperor’s use. The city is configured on a north-south axis that aligns with the pole star, emphasizing the emperor’s position as the son of heaven. The forbidden city - the palace museum in the ancient times was divided in two parts, the inner court and the outer court. The inner court had the residence of the emperor and his family. There were also Harems where the concubines lived. The outer court had the largest building, Hall of Supreme Harmony where the official business was carried out. The forbidden city is a must visit for architectural enthusiast.a place called Dongcheng District that is an administrative district in Beijing and is the home to the Forbidden City, much of the historic city of Beijing, and some of the most famous attractions in China. Dongcheng District is the inner-east district of Beijing.
Dec 22, 2014 at 05:25 AM
The Forbidden City-palace museum , also called the Palace Museum now, shares the privilege of being one of five world most famous palaces with the Palace of Versailles in France, Buckingham Palace in England, the White House in the U.S. and the Kremlin in Russia. In 1961, the Forbidden City was listed under Chinese central government special preservation act. In 1987, it was nominated as World Cultural Heritage by UNESCO. Forbidden city-The Palace Museum is a treasure house of Chinese cultural and historical religious. Therefore it is one of the most popular Chinese tourist attractions that is Situated in the heart of Beijing, the Forbidden city-the palace museum was built during the years 1406-1420 for the Chinese Emperors of the Ming and Quing dynasties under the supervision of the strong Ming dynasty emperor, Yongle. The magnificent and splendid complex saw twenty four emperors one after the other until 1912 and was their residence and political center for close to 491 years. The term forbidden referred to the fact that it was forbidden to enter or leave the premises of the palace without the consent of the emperor. In 1925, Palace Museum was established in the premises of the forbidden palace which now holds a collection of ancient Chinese artwork from the Ming and Quing dynasties. Forbidden city, this is truly the spot to appreciate that might and grandeur of the Imperial Chinese court during the height of its power in the Ming and Qing dynasties. Despite the transformations of the city around it, the Forbidden City- the palace museum remains merciful relatively untouched.The Forbidden city-the palace museum exemplifies the ancient Chinese symbolism and philosophy. The buildings face towards the south which depicts holiness in the Chinese culture and faced away from north which symbolizes cold winds and enemies. The ceremonial buildings are arranged in the groups of three. Number three represented heaven. The color yellow being exclusive to the emperor which symbolizes his supreme power, was used for the roof. However, the roof of the library was kept black which stood for water to protect the precious writings from fire. There are entries on each side of the palace. Visitors are allowed to enter from the south gate (Meridian gate) and leave from north . The Forbidden City occupies an area of around 178 acres and has approximately eight thousand and seven hundred rooms. There are four exquisite watchtowers on each corner. The palace is a must visit to experience the ancient Chinese architecture first hand.
Dec 06, 2014 at 01:09 AM
Situated right in the center of the capital city Beijing, the Forbidden city is a beautiful and enormous palace which is now called the Gugong (the ancient palace). The Forbidden City, as the residence of the terrestrial emperor, was its earthly counterpart. Jin, or "Forbidden", referred to the fact that no one could enter or leave the palace without the emperor's permission. Cheng means a city.The palace got the name so as it was only accessible by the emperor and nothing or nobody could enter or leave the premises without the emperor’s consent. The Forbidden City is the world's largest palace complex. Indeed, it is listed by UNESCO as the world's largest collection of preserved ancient wood-based structures and was declared a World Heritage Site in 1987. It was an imperial palace for twenty four emperors from the Ming and Qing dynasties. It was built when the Ming dynasty emperor YongLe moved the capital to Beijing and began the construction of this iconic palace. The design of the Forbidden City was meticulously planned to reflect philosophical and religious principles, and above all to symbolise the majesty of Imperial power. The Forbidden City is as huge as 180 acres and occupies over eight thousand rooms. It has a rectangular layout with gates on each sides. The palace also has watchtowers on all the four corners which were used to watch over assassins and enemies. The palace is protected by a 50 meter wide moat and 10 meter high purple wall. Forbidden city is divided into two parts ; the inner court and outer court. The inner court used to be the residence of the emperor, his family and also had their halems for concubines. The outer court was kept for the official government and ruling businesses. The iconic color associated with Chinese culture : Red, Yellow and Black are abundantly seen throughout the palace’s architecture. According to the emperor YongLe’s version of Beijing, the palace lies right in the middle and also symbolically between temple of heaven in south and temple of north along a central axis. Since 1925, The Forbidden city has been under the charge of the Palace Museum which contains ancient artworks from the Ming dynasty. It is a must visit for history and culture enthusiasts. The Forbidden city is China’s most magnetic tourist destination and gets visited by nearly ten million visitors each year.
Jan 21, 2015 at 07:00 AM
Forbidden City - The Palace Museum begins in the 15th century when it was built as the palace of the Ming emperors of China. It is located in the centre of Beijing, China and was the Chinese imperial palace from the mid-Ming Dynasty to the end of the Qing Dynasty in 1912. It has been a museum since 1925. It was built from 1406 to 1420. Forbidden City - The Palace Museum complex has undergone many changes. After serving as the imperial palace for some 500 years, the Forbidden City became a museum, Forbidden City - The Palace Museum , in 1925. In 1987, it was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. The site of the Forbidden City was situated on the Imperial city during the Mongol Yuan Dynasty period. After the collapse of the Yuan Dynasty, the Hongwu Emperor of the Ming Dynasty moved the capital from Beijing in the north to Nanjing in the south. His son Zhu Di was made the Prince of Yan with his seat in Beijing. In 1402, Zhu Di usurped the throne and became the Yongle Emperor . He made Beijing a secondary capital of the Ming empire, and construction began in 1406 of what would become the Forbidden City - The Palace Museum. Forbidden City - The Palace Museum plan was designed by many architects and designers and then it was examined by the Emperor's Ministry of Work. At present it is a great tourist attraction spot. It admires tourists from all over the world.
Jan 13, 2015 at 04:23 AM
The Forbidden City - The Palace Museum holds 340,000 pieces of ceramics and porcelain. These include imperial collections from, different dynasties as well as pieces commissioned by the Palace, and, sometimes, by the Emperor personally. This collection is notable because it derives from the imperial collection of the Forbidden City - The Palace Museum, and thus represents the best of porcelain production in China. The Forbidden City - The Palace Museum holds about 320,000 pieces of porcelain from the imperial collection. The rest are almost all held in the National Palace Museum in Taipei and the Nanjing Museum. The complex of The Forbidden City - The Palace Musuem consists of 980 surviving buildings with 8,707 bays of rooms and covers 720,000 square metres. The ceramic collection of the Palace Museum represents a comprehensive record of Chinese ceramic production over the past 8,000 years as well as one of the largest such collections in the world. It is a great pride for the Chinese. The palace complex exemplifies traditional Chinese palatial architecture and has influenced cultural and architectural developments in East Asia and everywhere in rest of the world. The Forbidden City - The Palace Museum offers tourist a great scenic experience also.
Jan 18, 2015 at 01:08 PM
The Forbidden City - The Palace Museum has been a home to some o fthe very important dynasties of China of that period. As the royal residences of the emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties from the 15th to 20th century, the Imperial Palaces (Forbidden City - The Palace Museum being the main) of the Ming and Qing dynasties in Beijing and Shenyang were the centre of State power in late feudal China. The Imperial Palace or know as the Forbidden City - The Palace Museum of the Ming and Qing Dynasties in Beijing known as the Forbidden City was constructed between 1406 and 1420 by the Ming emperor Zhu Di and witnessed the enthronement of 14 Ming and 10 Qing emperors over the following 500 years. The Imperial Palace of the Qing Dynasty in Shenyang was built between 1625 and 1637 by Nurgaci for the Nuzhen/Manchu forebears of the Qing Dynasty, which established itself in Beijing in 1644. The Forbidden City - The Palace Museum is located in the centre of Beijing and is the supreme model in the development of ancient Chinese palaces which provie an insight to the social development of late dynastic China, especially the ritual and court culture. This even stores the rich Chinese culture and heritage.
Feb 15, 2015 at 06:52 AM
The Forbidden City- The Palace Museum still has the touch of it’s ancient historic feeling along with the cultural, social and past heritage. Most travelers enter the Forbidden City- The Palace Museum through Tian'anmen, the Gate of Heavenly Peace. The Forbidden City - The Palace Museum holds 340,000 pieces of ceramics and porcelain. These include imperial collections from different dynasties as well as pieces commissioned by the Palace and sometimes, by the Emperor personally. This collection is notable because it derives from the imperial collection of the Forbidden City - The Palace Museum, and thus represents the best of porcelain production in China. The Forbidden City - The Palace Museum has been a home to some of the very important dynasties of China of that period. As the royal residences of the emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties from the 15th to 20th century, the Imperial Palaces (Forbidden City - The Palace Museum being the main) of the Ming and Qing dynasties in Beijing and Shenyang were the centre of State power in late feudal China. The Forbidden City - The Palace Museum, located in the centre of Beijing is the supreme model in the development of ancient Chinese palaces which provie an insight to the social development of late dynastic China, especially the ritual and court culture.
Jan 29, 2015 at 01:18 AM
Forbidden City, which is the common English name, is a translation of the Chinese name Zijin Cheng, while Forbidden Palace is another English name of similar origin. Now famous as the Palace Museum. Rectangle in shape, it is to the north of Tiananmen Square. Palace musuem is the world's largest palace complex and at least 74 hectares is covered under it. There are around 800 buildings inside the palace that have about 9,000 rooms in total. The Forbidden City is sorrounded by a 50-meter wide moat then a 10-meter high purple-coloured wall. The perimeter of the palace is almost 3.5 kilometers long. To the north is the Gate of Divine Might (Shenwumen), opposite the Tiananmen Gate, which faces Jingshan Park. The distance between these two gates is at least 960 meters, while the distance between the east and west gates is 750 meters. On each of the four corners of the curtain wall, there are unique and delicately structured towers. The palace is divided into two parts - southern section and the northern section. The southern section, or the Outer Court was where the emperor exercised his supreme power over the nation. The emperor lived with his royal family in the Inner Court or the northern section. At least fourteen emperors of the Ming dynasty and ten emperors of the Qing dynasty had reigned here, until 1924, when the last emperor of China was driven from the Inner Court. Now, listed as a World Cultural Heritage Site by UNESCO, the Palace Museum is has emerges as one of the most popular tourist attractions in the world. The Forbidden City remains a national symbol. An image of its entrance gate is part of the official seal of the People's Republic of China. The Forbidden City recently been under a major renovation work, thereafter which visitors were limited to a few areas. However, the palace remains open throughout the year and major part of the palace are accessible to the visitors. The palace museum is believed to be China's magnetic tourise destination and it is said that almost 10 million visitors visit the complex every year.
Dec 04, 2014 at 11:50 PM
The Hall of Central Harmony lies between the Hall of Supreme Harmony and the Hall of Preserving Harmony. It is is one of the halls outside the Forbidden City and was originally, a lounge that was used by the emperor before he departs for his meeting and ceremonies.Square in shape, the Hall of Central Harmony covers an area of 580 square meters. Three rooms is located at the main side while three rooms is in each flank; thereby the total number of room becoming nine. The Hall of Central Harmony is enclosed by corridors, which are covered with golden bricks. The roof of this hall has a single eave featuring four pavilion roofs; whole of the roof is covered with yellow glazed tiles. There are at least twelve doors in the main side, while the east, north and west sides have four doors. In the north and south sides there are three stone steps, while there is one in the east and west side and another one present before the door. There is a picture of cloud-dragon on each stone step, to be trodden on by the walkers. The height of the Hall of Central Harmony is 29 meters but it is the smallest one compared with the Hall of Supreme Harmony and the Hall of Preserving Harmony. There are outfalls in the shape of a dragon's head on the bases of the three halls. When it rains, the outfalls spurt water at the same time, thus creating a sight of thousands of dragons spouting water.
Feb 22, 2015 at 03:41 PM
Kunninggong or the Palace of Earthly Tranquility was constructed in 1420 and is one of three palaces in the living zone of the Forbidden City. The palace suffered two major fire disasters in 1514 and later in 1596. The repair work of the palace was carried out in 1605. During the Qing Dynasty, the palace underwent two restoration work – in 1645 and later in 1655. Palace of Celestial Purity or Qianqinggong signifies masculinity and Palace of Earthly Tranquility is femininity. Together, these two palaces show the harmony and oneness of heaven and the earth. Palace of Earthly Tranquility faces towards south and backs to north. The palace is covered with yellow glazed. The Palace of Earthly Tranquility used to be a chamber for the empress during the Ming Dynasty (1368 - 1644). Later, in the Qing dynasty, the palace was Shunzhi transformed the palace into a religion center for worshipping and sacrificing of Shamanism. Shamanism is a range of traditional beliefs and practices that involves forming a special relationship with the spirits. The person who practices shamanism is called shaman. Shamanism was basically carried out to diagnose and treat illness. The Palace of Earthly Tranquility was reconstructed in accordance with Palace of Pure Tranquility. Palace of Pure Tranquility was the old palace of Shengyang and used to be the royal palace of Emperor of Qing dynasty. The two rooms at the east side of the Palace of Earthly Tranquility were used as the nuptial chamber of Emperor’s wedding. The inner wall of the palace is red in colour and imperial lanterns hangs from the ceiling. The chamber has two gates – at east and the west. There are two wooden walls pasted with golden Characters in Chinese in front of the gates. The mosquito net and quilt in the chamber are well embroidered and was made elaborately by handcrafters in southern China.
Dec 26, 2014 at 01:23 AM
Hall of Clocks and Watches, now called as the Museum of Clocks and Watches in the Forbidden City is home to some of the fantastic timepieces from the Qing Dynasty. The clocks and watches displayed in the musuem are mostly made in Switzerland, Japan, England and France, while some of them made in China. The Hall of Clocks and Watches lies in the Palace of Dedication or Fengxian Palace, to the east of the Forbidden City. Constructed during the 13th year of Emperor Shunzhi’s reign in 1656, Fengxian Palace was also known as the Hall of Ancestor Worship. It is because the Qing emperors went there to worship their ancestors’ memorial tablets. Hall of Clocks and Watches is tall and spacious, and covers a total area of 2,208 square meters. There are over 180 pieces of collections displayed in this hall. These timepieces depicts the immense wisdom of foreign as well as domestic watchmakers and were of high historical, technical and creative value at the same time. The glorious history of development of the watches in the world can be seen from the early 18th to 20th centuries, from the watches and clocks exhibited, with the history of over 200 years. The court has been widely used in spring-powered mechanical watches during the reign of Qianlong Emperor. During the reign of Qianlong and Jiaqing Emperor, the collection of all kinds of watches and clocks in Forbidden City were mainly made in Guangzhou, Suzhou and Imperial Manufacturing Department. While, few of them were made in the United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, Japan, Germany and other countries as well. Chinaes watchmakers made timepieces which were mostly decked up with gold, pearls and gemstones. They were shaped with modeling-simulated pavilions, flowers, fruits and bonsai. The watches and clockes made in Britain, France and other Western countries were usually shaped with western buildings, animals and other figures. Each country had its unique style of telling time. While, some of them tell time automatically closing and opening of its doors, others tells by playing piano drums.
Feb 15, 2015 at 04:47 AM
The emperor and empresses from the Qing dynasty and the imperial household were Manchu people, and were somewhat believed to be superstitious and respected religion very much. The Palace was remodelled into a Manchu-style house during Qing dynasty. Rather than in the middle, the palace has its main door off center to the east. The four west side rooms of the palace were changed into a platform for offering sacrifices to the deities of Shamanism. Sacrifices were offered twice a day, one in the morning and the other in the evening. Majestic events and occasions were organised at this location during spring festival, the 1st and the 15th day of every month. The event was attended by both the emperor as well as the empress. The two east side rooms were the bridal suite for the royal couple. The wall of the rooms were painted red and the palace lamps were hung high, which created a warm and happy aura. Whenever the emperor opened the door, he would witness a screen right in front, which had words pasted on it as an auspicious sign. After staying in the chamber for first few days, the emperor would shift to the Hall of Mental Cultivation, while the empress would move to some other dwelling in the palace. If by any chance, the emperor ties the knot before ascending to the throne, he would not marry here. Thus, only three emperors from the Qing Dynasty, Kangxi (1662-1722), Tongzhi (1862-1874), and Guangxu (1875-1908), who took over the power at initial ages, lived in this nuptial chamber. The weddings of the emperors were extremely luxurious during that era. The wedding of Emperor Tongzhi alone cost 11,000,000 taels of silver while 5,500,000 taels of silver was spent in the wedding of Emperor Guangxu; despite the fact that the country was going through an extreme poverty during that time. The decoration work and furnishings at the bridal chamber during the grand wedding of Emperor Guangxu, still depicts the elaborate arrangement made for the nuptial at that time.